Every Friday morning, come rain or come shine, I attend a breakfast network meeting. Around the table are 30 or so other business owners and we look each week for opportunities to pass business to each other.
One Friday I asked everyone to give me an idea of what they look for in an accountant. Some responses I was expecting, others not so. Here is a selection:
• Value for money
• Attention to detail.
• Proactive advice.
• Clear fees quoted in advance.
• Tax planning.
• Someone who saves me money.
• Someone who knows how I think.
• Where I don’t feel the clock is always on.
• Accessible. Be there when I need them.
• Someone I can sleep with! (the lady concerned did go on to say that she was married to her accountant!)
• Someone who will explain things to me.
• Someone I can trust.
• A quick turnaround of work.
• A long term working relationship.
Perhaps you have some others. If so please free to email them to me at email@example.com
I will leave you with one that I must confess has troubled me:
• Someone with a sense of humour.
An accountant with a sense of humour? Surely you ask far too much!